Many children are still financially dependent upon their parents after the end of their secondary schooling.

A parent can ask a Court to make a “maintenance” order for a child over the age of 18 if the child has special needs relating to education or training, or a disability. The Court looks at the needs of the child and the capacity of the child and each parent to meet the child’s needs.

An agreement about maintenance for a child over the age of 18 can be documented in a consent order, which is binding and enforceable, or in a Parenting Plan which is not enforceable.


 Galbally & O'Bryan's team of Family Law experts can assist you.

Partner Andrew O’Bryan and Senior Associate Elizabeth Gray are expert Family Law lawyers.


Andrew O’Bryan


Elizabeth Gray



Andrew and Elizabeth will review your case and provide clear, easy to follow advice and take action to give you the best possible outcome.


How to contact our Office


Melbourne Office
259 William Street 

T (03) 9200 2533 


Dandenong Office 
Shop 9/147-151 Foster Street 

T (03) 9769 2510 


Pakenham Office 
Shop 1, 15 John Street 

T (03) 5941 7990 


The information on this website is of a general nature only and may not reflect recent changes to certain areas of law. It should not be relied upon as a substitute for discussing your situation with a qualified legal practitioner. Contact us for more information.